How Pilots Can Report Wildland Fires
Private and commercial pilot reports of wildfires play a major role in helping the Division of Forestry and the Alaska Fire Service (BLM) to respond quickly to wildland fires within Alaska.
If you should spot a forest fire:
- Contact State Forestry on 132.45 VHF-AM, or
- BLM Dispatch on 127.45 VHF-AM, or
- a Flight Service Station
Provide as much of the following information as possible:
- Latitude & longitude
- VOR & DME
- Your name and tail number
- Approximate fire size
- Wind direction and speed
- Fire fuel type (spruce, birch, tundra, etc)
- Distance to cabins or other buildings
The Division of Forestry maintains dispatch offices in Delta Junction, Fairbanks, Glennallen, McGrath, Palmer, Soldotna, and Tok. Offices are typically staffed May through August from 1000 to 1800 hours (or later depending on fire danger and activity).