Personal-use woodcutting area near Salcha opens on short-term basis
(Fairbanks, AK) - The Division of Forestry has opened up a new personal-use woodcutting area near Salcha that will be open for a few weeks until it is closed for the season.
The Salcha Salvage Woodlot, located on about 20 acres on two islands in the frozen Tanana River, opened to the public on Monday. Most of the available wood consists of balsam poplar and white spruce. A Division of Forestry firewood cutting permit is required and only dead trees may be cut. Permits are available online at https://dnr.alaska.gov/FPS/ or in person at DOF offices in Fairbanks or Delta.
The woodcutting area is part of a 300-acre salvage timber sale proposed by DOF. The available timber was killed in the last three to five years as a result of seasonal flooding due to silt deposition and the meandering nature of the river. State forestry officials designed the sale to salvage as much timber as possible before further damage occurs due to rot, insects, wind and more flooding.
The woodcutting area can be accessed at approximately 318 Mile Richardson Highway via the Old Valdez Trail. The three-mile access route follows Old Valdez Trail for approximately 1.75 miles before coming to the first of three ice crossings on a winter road the Division of Forestry contracted to have plowed open last week. The winter road is approximately 1.5 miles long and is very rough in places. Four-wheel drives vehicles are highly recommended to access the area.
"Next winter when the snow fills in and traffic/use packs it down, the road will be smoother," Fairbanks Resource Forester Kevin Meany said.
Forestry staff will periodically check the condition of ice crossings to monitor ice thickness but permit holders need to use caution when traveling to the woodcutting area. The area will be closed once breakup begins, however woodcutting permits are good for a year, so they will be good next winter as well, Meany said.
For more information on the Salcha woodcutting area or to check on the condition of the road, call Meany at 451-2602 or consult the DOF website at http://forestry.alaska.gov/wood/firewood.htm.
Contact: Kevin Meany, 451-2602, email@example.com
Public Notice - Draft of Southeast State Forest Management Plan
The Division of Forestry is seeking your comments on the draft Southeast State Forest Management Plan. Maps of the forest units and the draft plan may be downloaded below. Copies of the plan may be viewed in the libraries of Craig, Ketchikan, Petersburg, and Wrangell or in the Division of Forestry office below.
Comments must be received by 4:00 PM on Thursday, April 30, 2015, and may be submitted by mail to the Division of Forestry, 2417 Tongass Avenue, Suite 213, Ketchikan, AK 99901, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Online Comment Form. The division is scheduling community meetings in several locations during the public comment period. See the state forest webpage at
http://forestry.alaska.gov/stateforests.htm#sesf for more information.
Public Review Draft of the Southeast State Forest Management Plan
- Public Notice Letter (PDF 25 KB)
- Southeast State Forest Management Plan - Public Review Draft (PDF 3 MB)
Maps of the Southeast State Forest
- Vicinity Map of Southeast State Forest (PDF 1 MB)
- Petersburg Management Area + Unit Maps (PDF 1 MB)
- Wrangell Management Area + Unit Maps (PDF 2 MB)
- Ketchikan Management Area + Unit Maps (PDF 2 MB)
- Prince of Wales and Outer Islands Management Area + Unit Maps (PDF 5 MB)
The Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry, gives formal notice under AS 38.05.945 that the Division has made a preliminary decision under AS 38.05.035(e) regarding the sale of the following commercial timber: Vallenar Bay Timber Sale (SSE-1345 K). Comments must be received by 5 pm on Thursday, March 5, 2015.
For more information or to submit comments please contact Greg Staunton, (907) 225-3070, Division of Forestry, 2417 Tongass Avenue, Suite 213, Ketchikan, Alaska 99901; or email email@example.com. The Department of Natural Resources complies with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities who may need auxiliary aids, services, or special modifications to participate in this review may contact the number above.
- Preliminary Best Interest Finding and Decision for the Vallenar Bay Timber Sale (SSE-1345K) (PDF 154KB)
- Map - Vallenar Bay Timber Sale Vicinity Map (Exhibit A) (PDF 800KB)
- Map - Vallenar Bay Timber Sale Map (Exhibit B) (PDF 871KB)
State Starts Review of Reforestation Standards
- Introduction to reforestation review (Word 356 KB)
Forestry Social Media Sites
DOF now has Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube pages:
- http://www.facebook.com/AK.Forestry (Alaska DNR- Division of Forestry (DOF))
- http://twitter.com/#!/ak_forestry (@AK_Forestry)
- http://www.youtube.com/user/alaskadnrdof (Alaska DNRDOF)
Individual links to Youtube content:
- Alaska's Green Gold- Fueling Tok's Future http://youtu.be/hc2_UO5KW18
- State of Alaska Wildland Fire Crews http://youtu.be/V-maLRAroVY
- Incident Commander Simulations http://youtu.be/MRkvVsByynI
- Rural Alaska Fire Prevention Video http://youtu.be/yPJjod4uurc
- Safe Burning - Burn Barrels http://youtu.be/aIU5DNb11R8
- Alaska Wildland Fire Orientation (Part 1 of 20) http://youtu.be/pt9HAFRCh7s