Board of Forestry to meet in Kodiak August 13-14, 2014
The Board of Forestry will meet in the Katurwik Room of the Kodiak Harbor Convention Center, 211 E. Rezanof Dr., Kodiak from 1:00-5:00 p.m. Wednesday, August 13 and 8:00 to 5:15 Thursday, August 14. Public comment is scheduled for Thursday, August 14 at 1:15 p.m. Background information for the meeting is attached below. For more information, contact Marty Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-269-8467 prior to August 12. After August 12, contact Melody Paynter at email@example.com or 907-269-8463.
- Public notice, including location and teleconference information.
- Draft meeting agenda
Standard Creek Road bridge repairs begin next week
The Goldstream Creek bridge located at Mile 7.5 of the Standard Creek Logging Road will be undergoing repairs beginning June 18. During the repairs, traffic in the bridge area may be affected, though the bridge will not be closed as previously announced. Standard Creek Logging Road users should use extra caution when using this area due to construction equipment. The bridge abutment was damaged by water runoff during spring break-up. The bridge is located west of Fairbanks near the Tanana Valley State Forest.
Signs about the bridge repairs are posted at the entry to Standard Creek Logging Road and at the bridge. The signs will be updated regularly. The public may check the status of the bridge by calling 451-2601.
State Starts Review of Reforestation Standards
- Introduction to reforestation review (Word 356 KB)
State Opens Firewood Harvest Areas by Dillingham
The Division of Forestry and the Division of Mining, Land and Water have worked together to allow personal use firewood permit holders to gather dead wood from certain state lands near Dillingham for heating their homes this winter.
Read the full story in the Bristol Bay Times at:
*article clarification - the agreement is between Division of Forestry and Division of Mining Land and Water (both divisions are in the Department of Natural Resources).
Mass wasting regulations adopted
Amendments to the Forest Resources and Practices regulations governing forest operations and mass wasting have been adopted and will go into effect on September 25, 2013. The regulations are designed to prevent or minimize adverse effects of mass wasting on fish habitat and water quality. Click the link below for a copy of the regulations. For more information, contact Marty Freeman (firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-8467).
- Reg Text Final As Filed (PDF 103 KB)
Forestry Social Media Sites
DOF now has Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube pages:
- http://www.facebook.com/AK.Forestry (Alaska DNR- Division of Forestry (DOF))
- http://twitter.com/#!/ak_forestry (@AK_Forestry)
- http://www.youtube.com/user/alaskadnrdof (Alaska DNRDOF)
Individual links to Youtube content:
- Alaska's Green Gold- Fueling Tok's Future http://youtu.be/hc2_UO5KW18
- State of Alaska Wildland Fire Crews http://youtu.be/V-maLRAroVY
- Incident Commander Simulations http://youtu.be/MRkvVsByynI
- Rural Alaska Fire Prevention Video http://youtu.be/yPJjod4uurc
- Safe Burning - Burn Barrels http://youtu.be/aIU5DNb11R8
- Alaska Wildland Fire Orientation (Part 1 of 20) http://youtu.be/pt9HAFRCh7s