Burn Barrels no longer allowed during burn suspensions
Due to high fire danger and the number of fires burning across the state that have stretched Alaska's firefighting resources thin, the Division of Forestry has amended its policy regarding the use of burn barrels during burn suspensions.
For the remainder of the season, burn barrels and other approved burning devices cannot be used in areas where burning is suspended. This is an additional restriction to the ordinary rules of a burn suspension, during which burn permits and open burning are not allowed.
It is unfortunate that burn barrels and approved burning devices will be further restricted but given the dry conditions and the gravity of the current wildfire situation around Alaska fire managers felt it was necessary to prevent additional fires. State fire managers evaluate the fire danger on a daily basis and updates are posted on the Division of Forestry web page and on recorded messages at Area forestry offices.
State Starts Review of Reforestation Standards
- Introduction to reforestation review (Word 356 KB)
For more information, see the Reforestation Standards Review web page at: http://forestry.alaska.gov/forestpractices.htm#reforestation
Forestry Social Media Sites
DOF now has Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube pages:
- http://www.facebook.com/AK.Forestry (Alaska DNR- Division of Forestry (DOF))
- http://twitter.com/#!/ak_forestry (@AK_Forestry)
- http://www.youtube.com/user/alaskadnrdof (Alaska DNRDOF)
Individual links to Youtube content:
- Alaska's Green Gold- Fueling Tok's Future http://youtu.be/hc2_UO5KW18
- State of Alaska Wildland Fire Crews http://youtu.be/V-maLRAroVY
- Incident Commander Simulations http://youtu.be/MRkvVsByynI
- Rural Alaska Fire Prevention Video http://youtu.be/yPJjod4uurc
- Safe Burning - Burn Barrels http://youtu.be/aIU5DNb11R8
- Alaska Wildland Fire Orientation (Part 1 of 20) http://youtu.be/pt9HAFRCh7s