Aviation Hazards Around Fires
As you know, fire makes smoke... and smoke creates attention. Please keep the following thoughts in mind:
- Contact the local Flight Service Station to report fires and obtain fire information. Report fires from a distance.
- For YOUR safety, avoid areas around fires.
- "Curious" aircraft restrict our escape routes, and our ability to productively "fight" the fire.
- We're generally operating between 200 feet agl and 5,000 feet agl, 5 miles around the perimeter.
- Be aware of increased activity on routes between fires and adjacent airfields.
Remember the Hazards:
- Increased focus on the ground by Flight Crews interferes with See and Avoid tactics.
- Visibility is restricted due to smoke.
- Heat from a large fire will create turbulence.