Community Forestry & Arboriculture
- Alaskaplants.org - Alaskaplants.org - Information about trees, shrubs, and vines known to be growing successfully in Alaska landscapes. The site will help you plant the right plant in the right place.
- Hazard Tree Management in Alaska - US Forest Service website provides basic information about hazardous trees.
- University of Alaska Cooperative Extension Service - hundreds of publications on gardening, landscaping and sustainable living.
- Rain Gardens - Municipality of Anchorage Watershed Management Services’ website provides information on using trees and other plants to reduce storm water runoff and keep pollutants from our waterways.
- Localplants.org – Local Alaskan plants clearinghouse for people interested in producing or purchasing plants in Alaska, reducing invasive species, and supporting local business.
- Committee for Noxious and Invasive Plants Management - Committee for Noxious and Invasive Plants Management - raises awareness of the problems caused by non-native invasive plants in Alaska.
- Alaska Pioneer Fruit Growers Association - experiences of successful fruit growing in Alaska.
- The International Society of Arboriculture - professional certification organization with a wealth of information related to tree care and a directory of certified arborists.
- Pacific Northwest Chapter of International Society of Arboriculture - promotes proper tree care in the Northwest.
- Society of Municipal Arborists - promotes and improves the practice of professional municipal arboriculture and aims to raise public appreciation for the importance of urban trees.
- Tree Care Industry Association - develops safety and education programs, standards of tree care practice, and management information for arboriculture firms worldwide.
- USDA Forest Service - provides funds to state community forestry programs and is the national partner in assisting communities.
- National Urban & Community Forestry Advisory Council - supports urban and community forestry at a national level and administers an annual federally funded grant program.
- Alliance for Community Trees - dedicated to improving cities, towns and metropolitan areas through information sharing, training, technical assistance, policy and program development, and advocacy.
- National Arbor Day Foundation - aims to inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees through education and programs like Tree City USA, Tree Line USA, and Tree Campus USA.
- American Forests - nation's oldest nonprofit citizens' conservation organization, a world leader in planting trees for environmental restoration and the science and practice of urban forestry.
- Center for Watershed Protection - non-profit corporation that provides technical tools for protecting streams, lakes and rivers.
- Community Trees - Trees don’t cost. They pay. Learn about the economic, social, and environmental benefits that trees provide.
Research and Education
- "Stem Girdling Roots: The Underground Epidemic Killing Our Trees," - University of Minnesota and the USDA Forest Service (2011)
- Human Dimensions of Urban Forestry and Urban Greening - research on peoples' perceptions and behaviors regarding nature in cities.
- Green Cities: Good Health - research on how nature in cities improves human health and well-being.
- Urban Natural Resources Institute - monthly online presentations on timely topics and research.
- Center for Urban Forest Research - scientific evidence that urban forests add value to communities by USDA Forest Service.
- Morton Arboretum - research on tree health and improvement with special emphasis on roots and the environment below ground.
- Washington State University Extension - fact sheets, case studies, and research that expose horticultural myths.
- The University of Florida Extension - information and PowerPoint presentations on urban trees and forestry suitable for all regions and climates.
- Online seminars for municipal arborists with articles and tests for continuing education credits.
Oregon State University Landscape Plants: Images, Identification, and Information Raising Forest Tree Seedlings at Home: Simple Methods for Growing Conifers of the Pacific Northwest from Seeds Illinois Green Industry Association - guidelines for growing, planting, and maintaining healthy trees; photos and up-to-date specifications. Reforestation, Nurseries and Genetics Resources - Art and science of raising seedlings.
- University of Alaska Anchorage Tree Tour 2015
- Library books on trees and arboriculture - Most of the books in the list are reference books donated by the Alaska Community Forestry Program.
- ANSI American Standard for Nursery Stock 2014
- Northern Trees- process of tree selection and list of northern species.
- The USDA PLANTS Database
- Cornell University Urban Horticulture Institute and Woody Plants Database
- Oregon State University Landscape Plants: Images, Identification, and Information
- Raising Forest Tree Seedlings at Home: Simple Methods for Growing Conifers of the Pacific Northwest from Seeds
- Illinois Green Industry Association - guidelines for growing, planting, and maintaining healthy trees; photos and up-to-date specifications.
- Reforestation, Nurseries and Genetics Resources - Art and science of raising seedlings.