News and Events
Transplanting Trees the Air Spade Way
Read this illustrated description of how to transplant trees using an air spade to remove the soil from the roots. Landscape architect Monique Anderson wrote this description after participating in a project to transplant trees in Sitka. The city moved about 15 large trees to a park during construction of a new parking lot. All the trees are doing very well in their new site.
Library Books on Trees
Winter is on the way; how about making time to read a book on trees? Many libraries in Alaska have books to help you improve your tree knowledge. The Alaska Community Forestry Program has donated the following books with the most up-to-date information on tree planting and care to public libraries. For a list of the libraries with these books go to this document (XLS 33 KB). If you want to read one of the following and donít find it at your library, please contact us.
- The Practical Science of Planting Trees, Gary W. Watson & E.B. Himelick
- An Illustrated Guide to Pruning, Edward F. Gilman
- Trees and Development, Nelda Matheny & James R. Clark
- The Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, Michael Dirr
- Arboriculture: Integrated Management of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, & Vines, Richard Harris, James Clark, Nelda Matheny
- Celebrating Birch, North House Folk School
- The Man Who Planted Trees, Jean Giono